Investment in research is a long-term strategic initiative of the Grain Farmers of Ontario. Our goal is to target our research and innovation investments toward opportunities that will enhance our farmer members’ returns. The updated 2017 Grain Farmers of Ontario research priorities are attached and available online here.
For our 2017 Call for Research Proposals we will be accepting barley, corn, oat, soybean, and wheat proposals under our four priority areas as described in our Research Priorities document: Agronomy & Production; Weed, Disease & Insect Pests; Breeding & Genetics; and Crop Quality & Utilization.
We are accepting all proposals in these areas but would like to highlight the following specific high priority areas for which we would like to target increased research investment:
- Developing a thorough understanding of the economic and environmental benefits and/or detriments of cover crops in field cropping systems
- Identifying and validating best management practices for effective integration of cover crops into field cropping systems
- Identifying phosphorous management practices that ensure sufficient phosphorous for the crop and mitigate phosphorous losses under the various tillage systems
- Improving nitrogen recommendation models to better address supply and demand for nitrogen during the growing season, factoring the relevant effects of weather and soil type
- Developing new food or bio-products from barley, corn, oat, soybean, and/or wheat linked to existing and emerging market opportunities for use of Ontario grain
Proposal Submission Process:
New forms to streamline agreements if funding is approved by GFO Board of Directors:
- “Appendix B - Sign-off of projects undertaken by a research institution” or an equivalent research institution form.
- If you are a researcher from a research institution, please submit your proposal for pre-approval (e.g. sign off) from your research services department to ensure appropriateness of budget, overhead rates, etc.
- “Appendix C - Consent form to disclose personal and research information”
- Voluntary, see instructions in Part 11 of Proposal template.
We encourage pre-submission consultation with Grain Farmers of Ontario for all proposals, but particularly for those that fall under the priority area of Crop Utilization & Crop Quality. Please call Natalie DiMeo at 519-767-4138 to discuss your proposal ideas or any questions regarding the templates.
Grain Farmers of Ontario strongly encourages partnerships amongst research institutions and with other funding agencies, where relevant. If you would like to discuss linkages with other funding programs please give us a call.
For your submission, please complete both the Proposal template and the Budget template. Instructions are contained within the templates. It is important to express how your research will benefit Ontario’s barley, corn, oat, soybean and wheat farmers, and to use plain language when describing your project. If there is confidential content within your proposal, please identify the sensitive content clearly with “Confidential.”
Researchers seeking funding in 2017 must submit proposals by the deadline of November 30, 2016 at 4:00pm. All proposals will be reviewed by the Grain Farmers of Ontario Research Committee and Board of Directors. It is expected that researchers will be notified of the funding decisions in mid-February, 2017.
Please electronically submit completed research proposal documents in their original MS Word or MS Excel file formats by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org.